I have never been a huge taco fan, but once I moved to Austin, Texas just about anything was featured in a taco! From boar to lamb to pecans! I soon realized how delicious and genius the taco concept was! A burst of flavor in one bite and finger food. Except, I also realized that not all taco is created equal. From quality to ingredients, things can get fishy (and trust me…I do love a fish taco).
So I’ve put together a delicious mushroom and mango taco. Shiitaki mushrooms are a powerful super food, while this entire dish leaves out all genetically modified foods and other poor quality ingredients. Try this twist on a taco and let me know what you think!
- 8 oz organic tempeh, sliced into cubes
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 cup shitaki mushrooms, chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 8 Boston bibb lettuce leaves
- 2 tbs coconut aminos
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup sweet potatoes, cubed and roasted
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 2 tbs cashew butter
1. In a skillet over medium heat, add avocado oil. Sear organic tempeh on each side for 4 minutes over medium heat, season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Saute mushroom, onion and red pepper until soft.
2. Transfer to a bowl. Add sweet potatoes, cilantro and coconut aminos. Toss in seared tempeh.
3. In each lettuce wrap, add a scoop of filling. Drizzle each with cashew butter.