Why a B Vitamin Deficiency Can Make You Feel Crazy
Something I often see with my female clients is a B vitamin deficiency. Stress, diet, medication, birth control use and over exercise can cause a depletion of these vitamins. As females this imbalance can cause a major tornado in our everyday world. More specifically, anxiety, hormonal imbalance, depression, exhaustion and fatigue can be major symptoms of a B vitamin deficiency.
So if you’re thinking you might be dealing with one or all of the above take a glance below, because you can totally overcome this.
B vitamins are vital for proper bodily functions. B vitamins are typically known for assisting in mood elevation and energy production, but those benefits are only the tip of the iceberg for these guys.
B vitamins are very powerful; they help carry out functions in our neurological, endocrinological, and musculoskeletal systems. They also play a major role in detoxification. It’s extremely important as females we are detoxing regularly and efficiently. Excess hormones are broken down, reused or recycled during detoxification. Any sort of hiccup in detoxification can also contribute to hormonal imbalance.
The 8 B Vitamins
Not getting complete recommended values of B vitamins leads to disruption in the detoxification system which yields hormonal and metabolic issues.
The 8 B vitamins essential to our bodies are: (in case you want a deeper look)
- B1 - thiamin: supports energy production
- B2 - riboflavin: supports elimination of toxins and thyroid function
- B3 - niacin: supports serotonin levels, has antidepressant effect
- B5 -pantothenic: supports adrenals in coping with extreme stress
- B6 - pyridoxine: supports detoxifying hormones and reduces the risk of hormone related cancers
- B7 - biotin: creates important enzymes that strengthen hair, skin, and nails
- B9 - folate: mood elevating, lowers blood pressure, prevents neural defects
- B12 - cobalamin: detoxes heavy metals
Why B Vitamin Supplementation Might be Right for You
- If you suffer from chronic stress
- PMS or Menopausal anxiety
- Use Birth Control (rapidly depletes B2,B6, B9, B12 + Vitamin C, Magnesium & Zinc)
- Lack animal protein in your diet
If you suffer from any of the above, a high quality, well rounded B Complex Vitamin can do wonders for your body. Especially if you need something quick and easy to bring nourishment and balance back into your life.
I also like to run comprehensive lab testing to ensure there is a deficiency. Something that your doctor might not be looking into.
Diet and lifestyle are absolutely areas to focus on, however we can’t always avoid stress or have access to certain foods (especially if you tend towards a vegetarian or vegan diet or organic meats).
In addition to a B Complex Vitamin, try adding in some of these foods.
The best sources of vitamin B are:
- Pasture Raised Eggs
- Wild Caught Salmon
- Grass-fed Red meat
- Pasture Raised and Organic Chicken
- Organic Leafy Greens
- Sunflower seeds
Manage that Stress Woman!
Stress is impossible to avoid, but I like to say to my clients we can respond to life as opposed to react. When we react, our bodies feel the stress. Responding to stress allows us to be an observer, work through it and move forward. Don’t let the emotional stress of life beat your body down.
Now, take a few deep breaths and then you can be on your way and continue your healing journey!